Are you deciding between Jiu Jitsu and another martial art? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is accessible to everyone.
It centers around grappling and ground techniques. BJJ is one of the best ways to subdue an attacker and minimize harm to yourself.
This article will explain the benefits of Jiu Jitsu in greater detail. Let’s explore.
1. Self Defence
Jiu Jitsu moves will come in handy if you must defend yourself during a physical altercation. Jiu Jitsu is one of the best martial arts for self defence because you can easily overpower someone larger than you.
That said, applying Jiu Jitsu techniques on someone outside of a dojo should only be done as a last resort.
2. The Confidence Factor
Jiu Jitsu will help you if you don’t have high self-esteem. It will be a challenging road ahead, especially if you’re new to martial arts.
However, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment as you learn the moves and master the art form. You’ll feel especially confident as you work your way up the ranks. Jiu Jitsu belts break down as follows:
- White Belt: This rank is reserved for anyone starting in Jiu Jitsu. You’ll become a white belt regardless of age.
- Blue Belt: This is the next rank above white belts. In many cases, it will take around two years before earning the blue belt title.
- Purple Belt: At this stage, you can teach students who are below your rank.
- Brown Belt: Students usually must have five years of training before obtaining a brown belt title.
- Black Belt: This is the highest rank within Jiu Jitsu. At this stage, you can own a dojo and teach students.
Additionally, you’ll carry this newfound confidence into other areas of your life. If you desire a promotion, for example, you’ll feel more confident when asking your boss for higher pay. Also, you’ll perform your duties at work with additional confidence.
Overall, you’ll feel empowered enough to take on any challenge that comes your way.
3. Strong Discipline
Learning Jiu Jitsu requires a routine structure. You’ll adhere to the following obligations:
- Maintaining your uniform
- Showing up on time
- Listening to your sensei’s instructions
- Training outside the dojo
All of these duties will help you instill discipline in other areas of your life.
4. Reaching Your Fitness Goals
Jiu Jitsu is an intense martial art that will help you lose weight. Students of all fitness levels can learn Jiu Jitsu. Further, it’s more exciting than other activities, such as walking or running.
5. Social Connections
A Jiu Jitsu school is a great place to connect with other people. You’ll have a regular training partner, and you’ll meet fellow students at competitions. Moreover, you’ll engage in other social activities outside the dojo.
The Art of Jiu Jitsu
Overall, Jiu Jitsu will allow you to defend yourself against an attacker. You’ll also gain additional qualities, such as confidence, self-esteem, and discipline.
You’ll also reach your fitness goals in the process and learn to eat healthier. Many students appreciate the camaraderie as well, and you’ll feel a sense of belonging.
Interested in reading more? Read more on our blog to gain insight into other topics.