Transferring to a new school can be a nightmare for some kids. This means new classmates, new teachers, new rules and basically new everything. And for some kids, adjusting to new environment is not that easy. Well, as parents, you should make sure to guide your kids so they can adjust well in this new school. In this article, we will share some tips that you can use:
- Find a good school for them – first of all, you should make sure to choose a good and reputable school for your kids. Make sure to check the school’s virtues and curriculum and the programmes they focus on with their student. If you are moving abroad because of work, then the more reason to find a good school for your kids. Transferring to a new school is hard enough for them much more transferring to a new school abroad. If you are moving to Singapore, then you should check out Singapore International school that is known for promoting both academics and social skills for kids.
- Get to know the teachers and co-parents – it is also important to know the school teachers as well as parents of your kid’s classmates. You should talk to them to help you be in the loop with latest programs or activities that are good for your kid. Since you are new to the school, it would be great to know people who can give you information and tips. Also, talking to teachers will help you know how is your kid doing at school – if they are making friends or participating in class.
- Always ask your kids about their day at school – but of course, you should always make sure to ask your kid about school – what they did, who they are friends with and everything. It is healthy to let them talk and share stories and be sure to pay attention so they know that you are interested.
- Invite their classmates for snacks or lunch during weekend – it is also a good idea to invite their classmates for playdate or for snacks after school so they get to know each other the same time you get to know them too and the parents as well. It would be a lot easier for the kids to cope up when they have friends. Kids need to socialize and it would be a lot easier for them to cope up when they have friends.
- Always make sure to attend school activities – lastly, you should show support to your kids by attending school activities to watch them or participate with them. It would be a great bonding moment too.
These are some ways to support your kids to their challenge of transferring to a new school. Sometimes it can be difficult for kids to easily adapt to changes especially a big one like a new school at a new place or even country so you must make sure to guide them and just be there to support them. Besides, most of the times, it is the parents who are the cause of such drastic changes so make sure to follow the tips that we discussed here.